Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My Volkswagen manual -- I own a 2000 Golf -- discourages the use of partially releasing the clutch to hold the car still on an incline. It claims premature wear on the clutch will result.

It can, of course. I'd be surprised if any manual recommended the practice. They tend to err on the side of caution and lowest maintenance. They also recommend you not take off from a dead stop in 2nd gear. Well, once I lost my shift linkage and had 3rd and 4th only. I drove 20 miles to the dealer taking off out of 3rd at about 12 redlights on the main road through town. I definitely don't recommend that!

Since we worked at Daddy's shop in our youth, and on our own cars as well, I know we never had to replace a clutch (it's a big deal removing the engine) and we usually owned our cars 2-3 years before moving on to the next one Daddy built. Mind you, he generally put a new clutch in a vehicle before we got it so we started out with the best possible condition. And coastal Florida is pretty flat so it wasn't a common occurance. There are, however, a few areas with a degree of incline and depending on the length of the wait, I'd "slip the clutch" as I have been informed the practice is called. :)

I just never liked that rolling backwards sensation until I'd got the clutch out enough to stop it and enough gas applied to keep the engine going. I don't want to tap the person behind me. At least with my A4 Firebird, that's not an issue.

When hubby and I used to vacation in TN and NC in one of our Jettas, I'd get all the mountain driving since I had grown up using stick and hubby hadn't. He was/is quite uncomfortable with topography and a clutch. And in my "old age," and the stop-and-go traffic on Florida's urban interstates, I too find I prefer automatics at this stage. And hubby still doesn't like mountain driving!

Moonglade
(I want my '65 Beetle back!!)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.