No. of Recommendations: 6
My wife & I looked at each other with a puzzled look, shrugged, turned to her and said, "No. You can't really put enough in IRA & 401K to get rich. Most of it is in taxable accounts."

*) When I had my "little chat" with each of my kids when they turned 21, I said to them that there is no reason that they couldn't have a $1,000,000 net worth in 25 years.

Define rich.

I put your comment about rich and your little chat together to make a point. On more than one occasion, I've heard that you can't retire on IRAs an 401ks alone. This year's contribution limit for the IRA is $5500 and 401k is $17,500. That's $23,000 per person not including any matching or other employer contributions. If your kids married and both your kid and their spouse worked, there is the potential savings of $46,000 per year. At 5% return, it becomes $2.3 million. Stuffing it under the mattress gives them $1.15 million. If they don't marry or one stays home to raise kids, $23,000 per year at 5% return results in $1.15 million in 25 years. This ignores COLA increases to contribution limits.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.