Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I plan to retire at the end of 2001. We want to be completely debt free when we
retire (no home mortgage, car payments, etc.). My question is: Is there any way for me to roll a
lump sum payment from my pension plan into a primary residence without getting killed on
taxes? We have a very nice nest egg in our 401K's and other investments so losing the monthly
benefit of the pension would not hurt us.

You can take a Lump Sum Distribution and average it on a form 4972 if you are 59 1/2 this year, or after this year if you were born before 1936. This will be lower than ordinary income tax, but you must take it all out of any plan. Get IRS form 4972 and its instructions, or read about it in Publication 505. Ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.