Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife gets stock options from Intel. I was just told by another Intel employ that we should cash in the options as soon as they can be exercised because the gain on the options is taxed as income. He said if you want to keep your money in Intel cash in the options and take to stock so the money it makes is taxed as capital gains (20%) vs income which is higher. Is this the way it works?

If I may be allowed a postscript to my first answer to your question ..... I've been thinking about the advice you were given by that other Intel employee: it strikes me that the strategy of cashing in options as soon as they can be exercised, so as to minimize taxes, is comparable to recommending that you ask your boss for "a smaller raise, please, so that I don't have to pay those annoying taxes."

You'd laugh at such advice, right?

Stock option "education pieces" I've seen sometimes refer to options as the equivalent of an interest free loan from the company. If you let it just sit there, it'll keep growing for you. The longer you let it sit, especially with a growth company like Intel, the more it will be worth. If you're planning on just cashing it, therefore, it makes at least as much sense to wait and let it grow to the max.

If, on the other hand, you are hoping to own a piece of Intel, through buying and holding, it may well make sense to exercise the option early in its life, before the market price gets so high that there are either income taxes or Alternative Minimum Taxes on that bargain price.......

Whatever you do, though, make sure you understand the range of choices you have and the consequences of each of them. Stock Options are great builders of wealth, especially when you're with a company like Intel.

some more to think about.

mathetes
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.