Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife had a 401k as well, but she was laid off, so we rolled it into a trad IRA, which we've since made contributions too, so I don't think we can roll it into her new employeer's 401K plan if I'm not mistaken.

Correct.

Is it worth keeping both my wife's IRA ($100/month) and her 401k (currenntly only investing minimum to get the company's matching $) and my 401K?

You might want to consider directing all of your wife's savings into her 401k and not contribute anything to the IRA. If her income exceeds a (fairly low) threshhold, her IRA contributions will not be deductible if she is covered by a qualified employer plan (e.g. a 401k).

If you want to keep an IRA outside of a 401k, you might want to look into a Roth IRA instead of a traditional one.

Secondly, does the limit for married couples differ from the $12,000 max that a single person could put into there 401K this upcoming tax year?

The 401k contribution limit does not change with marital status.

Also, are we even allowed to have both 401Ks and Trad IRA with what we're already contributing to our 401Ks?

You can have as many accounts as you like. The only question is whether you can make a tax-deductible contribution.

Good luck,
JDOyster
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.