Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife is a massage therapist and her business is an S-Corp. She sold a bunch of gift certificates before Christmas that won't be redeamed until sometime this year. What is the best way to handle the sales in 2001 and the redemption is 2002?

What I forgot to mention is that she has independent contractors renting space in her office. Almost all the gift certificate redemptions will be done by those contractors. How does she avoid paying income tax on the gift certificate sales when she is just going to turn around and pay the money out to another therapist and just collect a smaller amount in rent?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.