Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
My wife is a realtor. She receives a 1099 and we pay taxes on that. I was talking to one of her fellow realtors and she told me that she had incorporated and now all her earnings come down to her as pass through (I assume as dividends?). I wonder if this is a good (and legitimate) strategy?

It sounds like your wife's colleague has elected S Corporation status for the corporation. You can indeed pass through income from an S Corp free of social security taxes. HOWEVER, an S Corp must pay it's owner/employees a reasonable compensation as salary - which would incur social security taxes. So you don't get to skip out on that tax completely.

The IRS has been winning cases over the last 10 or 15 years where S Corp owner/employees have not taken adequate compensation. They typically end up reclassifying all of the distributions as wages and collect a whole bunch of taxes, penalties, and interest.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.