Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife is worried that if the company I work for goes bankrupt, we lose all the money we put towards the 401k plan.

Legally, the 401k holdings are yours and are not assets of the employer, so if the employer falls apart, neither the employer nor the bankruptcy court can grab the 401k assets to satisfy the creditor.

That being said, employers have been known to (fraudulently) "borrow" the 401k funds and spend them, either as a desperate bid to keep the company afloat or just to steal it. It could also be the case that an employer's "401k-like" plan isn't really a 401k and doesn't qualify for the legal protections that a 401k gets.

2) Can/should I insure against that?

I'm not sure there is any way to buy insurance; the best thing to do is to be vigilant and question the employer and Prudential if there appears to be any funny business. And have a Roth IRA as well as your 401k, so those eggs are spread between baskets.

Good Luck,
JDOyster
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.