Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife owns half of a mother-daughter with her sister.

Rental property isn't my strongest suit, but since I'm dying to know, and the information might help someone who could give you good information, what in the world is a mother-daughter? I'm sure it's some sort of real estate, but for me it just conjures up images of slavery when you say you own one.

In general you can only exlude gain on the sale of your principal residence, and then only if you've both owned and lived in it for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding the sale. There's an article in the FAQ.

When one sells rental property it's possible to defer the gain by doing a section 1031 exchange, but without knowing the nature of this property and the nature of your in-laws' occupancy, I don't know whether that would be possible.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.