Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
My Wolfpack did pretty well despite a limited number of scholarships this year. Chuck Amato loaded up on numbers last year so he had to be a bit more choosy this time around. I think our class was ranked #20 this year but recruiting rankings are so subjective as to be pretty much worthless IMO.

Amato really worked the defensive line, which was a weakness for State last year. 8 of this year's 18 recruits were DL's in high school, including the #1 DT in the country in Demario Pressley. A couple of the other guys will probably be switched to the OL once in school though. Chuck has had good success with doing that; a couple of our current OL starters were originally on defense. He says starting out on defense gives them a nasty streak that creates an advantage when switched to offense.

Other notables include RB Andre Brown, who was ranked in the top 10 RB's this year, and Parade AA RB Darrell Blackman, who signed last year but had to go to prep school for a year. We desperately needed RB depth behind T.A. McLendon. 4-star PK Tyler Lewis should help with our placekicking which was abysmal last year.

Amato went head to head with the Miamis, Florida States, Ohio States, etc. for most of his recruits so obviously some got away as well. A couple that he really wanted but didn't get were OL Roland Martin (Michigan State) and QB Brent Schaeffer (Tennessee).

Since Chuck didn't get Schaeffer he offered the last scholarship to a hometown sentimental favorite. QB Daniel Evans is the son of former NCSU QB and Wolfpack radio announcer Johnny Evans. It was a somewhat controversial choice since many fans don't think Evans will ever be more than a scout team player for State. (Too skinny, not a Div. I QB, etc.) I for one don't expect him to be the next Philip Rivers, but something tells me he will surprise some people before he graduates.

poorboy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.