Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mycroft,

Long time no speak. We worked together a bit a few months back analyzing a few other blue-chips. I've got to admit, wireless is much more interesting :)

In actuality, I'm all ears because I do have some money to invest (holding it now in cash) and I'm looking at Nokia.

I notice that you're focusing on the cellular equipment providers. Do you think that other fine companies such as Lucent, Cisco, Texas Instruments, etc. will also quickly gain market share as wireless technologies pervade every aspect of our lives??

In other words, it may seem logical to focus on Nokia, MOT, et al. now when wireless is in its infancy, however long-term, what makes us think that this technology will center around these companies??

Off the top of my head, I always favor the company that's solely focused on the industry that I'm interested in. For instance, if it's networking equipment, I like CSCO (LU has too many irons in the fire with the POTS folks). If it's data storage, I like EMC (they do nothing else). Therefore, with that simple test, NOK seems to be the most focused on the topic at hand, unlike Ericsson and Motorola which are far more diversified. My only worry is: While Nokia is clearly an innovative company with good products, do they have a clear technological advantage that sets them apart from other competitors?

I'd also like to discuss on this board other companies that make stuff like low-power consumption chip sets (somebody like ARM), amplifiers, digital signal processors, broadband chipsets, etc., etc. All these types of companies will benefit hugely from the wireless revolution.

In short, this is a new area of research for me but I will try to assist where I can!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.