Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
N8, I'm curious what the sentiment is in Seattle. From the outside, it looks like a lot of changes other than Russel Wilson. They've parted ways with a lot of former stars, do you feel they've replaced them?

Not Nate, but I'll chime in. Sherman, Chancellor, and Earl Thomas, all on the same team at the same time was like catching lightning in a bottle. IMO, Earl Thomas especially was (maybe still is) a one in a generation player. Those guys have not been replaced and probably can't be. But, secondary seems to be decent. Not great, but good enough. Overall, Seattle has bet towards letting a veteran player go too soon, rather than over paying him in his declining years. That seems to be working thus far, but Thomas and Sherman still could have some great seasons ahead of them, albeit at high prices. I personally would have signed Thomas at any price, even with his injury, but that's me.

LBs: I've long felt Bobby Wagner was hugely underrated, and it is great to see that he's finally being recognized. I was a little surprised they re-signed K.J. Wright for the "not overpaying" philosophy I mentioned above, but I love K.J. Wright. The guy has football smarts in spades. Very glad to see him back. Mychal Kendricks seems to be a productive fit, assuming he can come back from his legal troubles.

DL: Losing Frank Clark was a blow, but he got an amazing pay day (worth it IMO, and the Hawks probably could not have afforded him), and the Seahawks have had good success finding journeyman DL players who are productive, and that's the pattern they followed this off season.

OL: Kind of a horror show, as always. Part of the problem, IMO, is that Wilson likes to step back in the pocket, which causes the pocket to collapse. Last season he did a better job stepping up in the pocket, which made the OL look better. We'll see. Still a question mark here.

WR/TEs. I've long felt the Seahawks WRs were underrated. Losing Baldwin was a blow, but they have some depth at this position. Last year, Will Dissly was a surprising breakout at TE until injury ended his season, and there's some depth at TE as well.

Special Teams: Signed pro-bowl kicker Jason Myers, which ended the horror show for the last two seasons at this position, and have the best punter in the league. So ST looks solid.

TL;DR The Legion of Boom is gone and it isn't coming back. There is reason for cautious optimism for the D-line. The O-line can't get much worse. The WR/TEs will probably be pretty good. Special teams will probably be better than last year.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.