Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
nadine874,

Welcome to TMF!

You wrote, Can a person have too many different stocks? What's a good number? If I were to get a $2000 bonus, should I buy more shares of stocks I already own or should buy new recommended stocks?

Personally I'd recommend adding to a good, low-cost index fund or ETF. Trying to pick the next big thing is usually a fool's errand - though I suppose it has some educational value. Picking a core asset mix and sticking to it should be the basis of most investor portfolios.

Also, BONUS QUESTION.

I have a 403b account at my main job and a TSP account from my military job. Are the contribution limits cumulative of both plans or per plan?

It's a combined limit. See: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/how-much-salary-can-you...

There is a penalty if you exceed the elective deferral limit. Any excess must be reported as part of your income for that year, if you have not managed to get one of your employers to make a corrective distribution by April 15th. For pre-tax contributions, this results in you paying taxes both for the contribution and for the withdrawal, as the excess contribution establishes no cost basis in the account.

Note #1: This might not be a big deal if your contributions are all Roth, since those are already reported as part of your income.

Note #2: Employers are required to keep track of your contributions to plans under their control and prevent excess contributions in those plans. But once an excess contribution has made its way into the plan and you've paid the "double taxation", the contribution gets treated like any other in the plan.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.