Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Who has thoughts / experience on this? I can not find ANYTHING on this in pubmed. I can not find anything on image quality or images period on YouTube or Twitter. Alongside not completely being a US-based company makes me a tad uneasy here.

I also kinda wonder about image quality. Likewise, it frankly looks cheap. I wonder if it can do IV contrast studies, and what it's quality of said studies will be like. In some facilities, space is at a premium, so will it be placed in academic centers that are crunched for space?

As a parallel, ButterflyIQ recently created some buzz with a handheld-plug-into-your-phone-ultrasound probe under $2000 (super cheap compared to at least 35k for cart systems). And while I enjoy my butterflyIQ, I freely admit it does not provide the image quality of a mid to high end cart based ultrasound machine (ie, sonosite Xporte, Mindray TE7 or GE Venue). And early on the images were a good bit grainy, but it served a purpose for me in the ED or in critical care- in a code I care if the heart is beating or not, and can eyeball an ejection fraction without super quality images; the benefit of running to a code in the hospital with that in my pocket is quite high and I dont need great images. That is a very different game I'm playing than, say, a radiologist looking for breast cancer who likely needs higher quality images (or so I would imagine).

Now... why do I bring up ButterflyIQ as a parallel?
Because the ultrasound community tends to be a flexible, excitable, can-do, generally positive bunch, they were likely willing to deal with lesser quality images early on for the ease of access (having it in your pocket). I'm not certain radiologists would have the same mindset for diagnostic CT scans, nor am I certain they would be as forgiving and willing to continue to give it second and third and fourth chances...

Now... with that said, I'll post some numbers in the next post.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.