Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Narrow it down :-)
I'd like you post more (here or on FB) about the whole stem-cell-knee thing.
how's the recovery- how's the success, so far...

Well, at my checkup a year and half ago for my hip replacement, the surgeon told me that the left knee was completely out of cartilage and that I needed a knee replacement. In fact, she said I'd needed a replacement for a few years now, but I hadn't come in....

I didn't want a knee replacement. Hip replacements seem to be uniformly successful, but not so with knee replacements, and she wasn't encouraging in that regard either.

I had had success with prolotherapy for pain in my shoulders and knees, and I knew there was a ramped up process of stem cell therapy where one's own stem cells are injected into the site and it causes the body to replace the cartilage. It's not covered by insurance because it's considered experimental. I found a doctor who would do it for $5,000.

I saved and saved and a little over a month ago, I had the procedure.

It's extremely painful to have it and extremely painful for the first week in recovery. There is no walking except with crutches, and I had to stay off the leg most of the time in bed. Results wouldn't be known for another four to six months or so, meaning something between September and December.

I could tell it was going to be successful by the pain. IMMEDIATELY with the first injection, I could feel life surging into the leg, and all the motion of those little stem cells attacking their target created a huge amount of inflammation and pain.

I have physical therapy exercises to do daily -- which I'm to so good at getting around to on a daily basis, but I try my best.

It's been getting incrementally better. The associated Achilles tendon pain was first to respond.

As of today, the knee feels really a lot stronger, and the pain in the knee is minimal. The Achilles has improved as well. The neuropathy in the bottom of my feet improved. It's still there, but not as bad.

I am expecting a full recovery.

Here is what the procedure was:

https://www.facebook.com/young.doctors.corner/videos/1015568...

MOI
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.