Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am about to get divorced (the papers should be signed by the judge within a month). I need to know how this will affect my taxes. Here are my questions.

I was the only income earner for this last tax year. I will have paid two months of alimony to my wife by the end of the tax year.

How should I file? Should it be Married Filing Jointly? Married Filing Separately? Or Single? If I get a refund, am I entitled to the entire refund since I was the only wage earner, or is my ex entitled to part of it? (That specific item is not part of the divorce settlement.)

That is all I can think of for the moment. Thank you!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.