Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have this friend who is afraid of not having enough, even though I think he has enough....I told him that I am not a financial planner, but would check in with others...

He wants to retire early. He is 42. married with two kids, and owns his own home (he owes something like 400K remaining...

What can I do to convince him?

He and his wife make a gross income of about 160K...

He has a Roth IRA of about 900k, a taxable brokerage account of about 1.7 million, and a tax deferred retirement account of 1.2 million....His wife has a TSP of about 700k....

He is eligible to get a pension at 55 years old depending on how long he works....If he were to quit today, the pension would pay about 3K a month when he turned 55....

He would like a passive income of about 15k a month or about 150K a year to survive for the rest of his life...This amount would be able to pay the current mortgage, property taxes, children's education funds, and current lifestyles....

What do you guys think? Does he have enough????
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.