Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Hello fellow fools,

I need some advice one my IRA situation. I opened a IRA before Arpil 15th of this year to beat the deadline for 1999 and chose a Traditional because I needed the $2000 write off. I allocated the funds in Vangurard Growth Index Fund(VIGRX). It has done well and is up $200 in two weeks, I got lucky because the transaction was executed at the close of the "crash" of April 14th.

My question is twofold, I really wanted to invest the funds in stocks, but Vanguard's fees are too high and I think I might be better off with a Roth, what are my options? How do I know what is better for me, Roth/Traditional?

In addtion, I found out from Vanguard that there is no fee for me to transfer the account to a discount broker and Ameritrade has no fee to accept the transfer.

My dilema is figuring out what is best for me. I am in a very low tax bracket now, but don't know where I will be in 5-10 years and I think overall, I will do better with stocks.(I am 36 years old)

Please help,

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.