Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I’m looking for recommendations on tax software to prepare multiple sets of hypothetical federal and state returns to see the tax effects of a vacation home purchase a retired family member is considering.

The family member’s situation is their mortgage on their primary home is paid off. They would use the vacation home for more than 2 weeks a year. They will most likely be living in New Jersey and the vacation home would most likely be in New York.

These are details on what I from the tax preparation software:

-show the tax effects from the Schedule A mortgage and RE tax deductions.
-show the tax effects of renting the home for no more than 2 weeks vs. renting it for more than 2 weeks and using Schedule E.
-allow me to prepare and save multiple sets of federal and state returns on which I’ll project a number of different mortgage amounts on Schedule A, and use different rental income and expense scenarios on Schedule E.
-all returns will also include a Schedule D for periodic sales of stock.

Basically, I want to compare different hypothetical mortgage and rental scenarios.

Any recommendations on software and any other advice on this process would be appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.