Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be grateful if experts on this board will help me sorting out a complicated problem.

To make the picture clear I will present all the facts. Our AGI for 1999 was 49,279 and my Fed Tax withholding by my employer was 4484 which was 200 dollars more than the calculated Tax. I am due for a refund of 200 dollars.Which means My Tax liability for 1999 was 4284 dollars.

Now, this year(From Jan 2000- to March 2000) I have realized short term gains of 27,000 and long term gains of 5,000. I may also ( hopefully) realize some more gains on my investments in the remaining months of year 2000- thanks to the Fool and Mechanical investing. I will be finishing my present job at the end of June 2000- and then I am taking 3-4 months off to prepare for a major exam. Which means I will have no salary( and no withholding) for those months. My husband is also going to college and has no income. My next job probably will start in Oct-Nov or may be Dec.
What I have read about Estimated Taxes here at Fool, my understanding is that if my Tax witholding for year 2000 should be equal to 4284 dollars then I dont have to pay estimated Taxes, as it would be 100% of my last year's Tax liabilty. So the first question is- is my understanding correct?
If I am right about the above inference, then what are my options? Can I ask my payroll to increase my witholding for next 3 months till I finish my job. And when I start my next job at the end of this year I ask my new employer to withold Taxes to make up the total amount to 4284 by year end. In case I dont start the next job this year then I pay estimated Taxes in the last quarter to make up for the amount of 4284.
I really dont want to pay Estimated taxes at least for now as I can use that money for furthur investments and also would require some of the money during the months we have no income.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.