Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just saw this board in Selena's list over on New Boards, Notable Boards....so glad to have found this place!!!

I LOVE reading, always have. However, in the past few months, I wander around and around the bookstore looking for something to read and coming up empty handed. Part of the problem is that I don't know where to start (too much choice), and lots of books you just can't judge by the cover.

I like reading what I call "High Fantasy" and Historical Fiction. My definition of "High Fantasy" are the books where it is an imaginary world, maybe with some magic and the odd mythical creature, but not scores of different races (elves, dwarves etc - a la Tolkien).

Some series I have read, and HIGHLY recommend include:

Jack Whyte - Arthurian series starting with "The Skystone"
Guy Gavriel Kay - Any books except the "Fionavar Tapestry" books, especially Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emporers
George R.R. Martin - Fire and Ice series mentioned in an earlier thread
L.E. Modesitt - any Recluse books (easy but engrossing read)

On the historical fiction side, I've enjoyed books by:
Colleen McCullough - Masters of Rome series (i.e. "Caesar")
Wilbur Smith - Any, especially the ones about the Courtney family

Can someone recommend any new authors/series similar to these books?

Snie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.