Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Background: Back in 2008, I apparently made a mistake on my local school district taxes. I owed a fair bit more than I thought I did. Didn't find out until 4 years later when a tax bill showed up in the mail. It took a while to get the money together, and when I got the initial amount paid, I still had a bit more in additional interest and penalties. Got that paid, or so I thought. About a year ago, my wife found out we had a tax lien against us (showed up on both our credit reports). We took care of it immediately when we found out. It turned out to be some $25 fee that hadn't been paid and we didn't know about. After paying the money and getting a letter we could file with our local court, I thought that was the end of it.

Earlier this month, I got a copy of my credit reports. I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy back in November of 2005 and I wanted to make sure it had fallen off. That's when I first found out the tax lien will be there for 7 years. I was hoping that since it says "released" everything would be OK. I recently applied for a loan and was turned down. One reason given was "negative public record". This tax lien is the only negative public record on my reports.

Are there any alternatives? I just finished 10 years of having a bankruptcy on my record, do I really need to go through an additional 7 years with this tax lien on my record? Seems ridiculous to go through because of $25.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.