Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Neither is a community property state, so your Federal wouldn't be any more complicated than today.

However, your state taxes might be a bit more complex. As a minimum, you'll be doing two sets of state taxes, each showing one full-year resident and one non-resident. And for the year you switch, you'll throw "part-year resident" into the mix.

With New Mexico and Idaho (my experience; both community property states), resident status makes a difference on some deductions and credits. Plus, New Mexico considers you a full-year resident (they claim all your income) if you are present for more than 185 days, while Idaho allows you to prorate your income (9-months' income to New Mexico, 3-months' income to Idaho), which results in 3 months of income being taxed by both states. And while both states allow some credit for the double tax, you still end up with a higher tax bill.

Best of luck--be sure to read the fine print on residency requirements for in-state tuition carefully!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.