Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Neither of us feels comfortable about the idea of being cooped up on a boat with a zillion other people.

I know, I know, many people enjoy such things. We just don't.

I hope life permits you to go!

Vermonter

There are basically three reasons/type of cruises we take:
1.) Family trips - The grandkids really like to cruise. No housekeeping, entertainment provided, and food always available makes it a stress free vacation for the grandkids parents. We have taken the grandkids with their parents to Hawaii, Alaska, and on The Oasis of the Seas.

2.) Theme Cruises - We have taken the Star Trek cruises. It is for the onboard activities. We really have no further interest in the Caribbean.

3.) Destination "Expedition" Cruises - Small ships around a hundred or less passengers.

My husband didn't want to spend two weeks going coast to coast to go through the Panama Canal. I didn't feel like trying to competing with 2,000+ people on board to see the locks. The Nat Geo Quest was a compromise and turned out very well. We flew into Panama and returned from Costa Rica. It was the ships first year and the ship had a few issues to work out. An evening without air conditioning in Costa Rica was uncomfortable but far from serious. The other issue of being very seasick one night was my fault for being over confident and under medicated.

I still want to go to the Galapagos and Antarctica before knee surgery. Cruising gives the best access and for Antarctica realistically the only option. My goal this summer was to learn to swim and conquer my fear of water. It doesn't look like that will be an option. Swimming pools and community swim centers are closed. By the time I am able to obtain lessons, it may be too late to go before surgery which has at least a 6 month recovery.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.