Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Never mind. I just did the unthinkable--read the instructions for itemized deductions in the 1040 instruction pub. Since my foreign taxes were over $600, I have to use 1116. But it's good to see that I can still think creatively.

I suggest you reread the Sch A instructions again. There is no requirement that you file the 1116 when you are taking the deduction instead of the credit. Are you carrying forward foreign tax credits from 2007?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.