No. of Recommendations: 5
Never. You don't want to add creditors to your list of problems right now. Finding at least a part-time job seems logical, but of course that could hurt your unemployment chances; of course with the economy up and down, you may be more in need of that unemployment later anyway. In any case, make sure to check out the Living Below Your Means board. There are some really good ideas to stretch your dollar more than you'd ever imagine.

Hey, diana, ever get tired of being treated like a newbie??

OneLostFool, dianakalt KNOWS all of the above, she's been around a while, (check out her profile!) she's looking for something a little more in depth, I think. (I'm not jumping on you, really; just that some situations don't fit "generic" advice and sometimes a little more background will give you a different perspective.)

Did you miss the part where she's ALREADY been laid off twice and this will be the third one in 14 months? She knows how to survive it, she's just thinking that this time might be worse, since the economy is in the toilet. She may not get much in the way of unemployment this round, because she used 3 months already out of the last 12.

I have no doubt that diana will do whatever it takes to get by, including getting a job outside her field if necessary. But, I also think that there might come a time when she decides to buy groceries on the CC because she will start a job in two weeks, but won't get paid for a month (or something similar.) I certainly wouldn't jump on her for it.

Ishtar
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.