Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I should have looked here earlier, as it seems we're over for an update, replacement as our elderly 60" Samsung is giving us fits... red tinge in the whole screen on startup, restart, so far, cures it for the evening..

Anyway, I don't even see 6" any more so have semi-convinced DW to go for a 75" OLED or QLED... LG seems to own the OLED market, and with a few features it goes past $2K in a flash it seems...

Then I see an LG NanoCell... NANO91 series... Is that just a pre-OLED set or yet another option...

What we found when we snagged the 60" was that distance from the screen is no longer an issue with the new sets, so the 75" will work out, no matter what the choice, Sansung or LG... I'm a little leary of Vizio, maybe should look there, too.

I've a nice Yanaha soundbar, an powered subwoofer, so the set's speakers aren't a big deal..

Any particular preferences?

weco
Print the post Back To Top
Further info:

https://www.redaktor.co/lg-nanocell-vs-oled-tv-2020/

So the Nano is a backlit screen, rather than the OLEDs, which are not.. I wonder about lifespan, altho, at my age... Hmmm...
From the article you linked:

The 65-inch LG Nanocell NANO91 65-inch model, for example, will set you back $3299 RRP. It’s a lot of TV for the money, especially considering that the 65-inch LG CX OLED we tested retails for $5399.

The 65" LG OLED unit I bought less than a year ago was a bit over $2k at Costco. I have no idea what that 65" for $5399 has that I don't have for less than half the money, but I'm happy enough with what I've got. Costco (members only) has two LG 77" class units on their web site, one for $3950 (OLED77CXAUA.AUS) and $4200 (OLED77B9PUA), but the one for $250 more comes with some sort of rebate card worth $250.

(Full disclosure: I have a small position in Universal Display, ticker OLED.)
No real recommendations. OLEDs are the ones to get if money isn't an issue. Unfortunately most/all of them are made by LG and then (I think) the virus hurt production so prices have not been coming down.

I'm holding on to my Plasma TVs until they fail (12+ yrs).

I can't imagine a screen that big in my place but if it works, go for it.

Rich
We put a new 75" in the living room last year. Yes, OLED looks gorgeous in the showroom, but I just can't justify paying ~2x what a top notch LED model goes for. We compromised on a higher end QLED from Samsung. No complaints. Yes, the OLED is better when you look at them side by side (*assuming you have the highest quality content source). But in the real world, once it's at home and hooked up to your sat/cable/streaming source, I doubt the average user would notice a difference.
The 65" LG OLED unit I bought less than a year ago was a bit over $2k at Costco. I have no idea what that 65" for $5399 has that I don't have for less than half the money, but I'm happy enough with what I've got. Costco (members only) has two LG 77" class units on their web site, one for $3950 (OLED77CXAUA.AUS) and $4200 (OLED77B9PUA), but the one for $250 more comes with some sort of rebate card worth $250.

Saw the 77"s, but hesitate on the price over the 75" sets, an LG OLED is currently on sale for $2,099, but that ends on 8/23/20, which a tad sooner than I'm ready to make the leap unless I'm faced with a total failure of the existing 60".

On the other hand, it's possible other Sales are coming up, maybe as the Football season might open, or even a Holiday Sale...

What I am seeing, at least in my searching is the availabilities seem better at Costco than I see at Best Buy, my BIL leans toward Best buy, knows the sales folks better, but I'm fine with our Costco folks..

Have to keep looking, watching I guess, maybe I should nudge the old 60" a bit.. Disposal of it is also interesting, we managed to give away prior CRT sets, but a defective flat screen isn't too salable..

Thanks for the input..

weco
I can't imagine a screen that big in my place but if it works, go for it.

Our family room/kitchen isn't all that huge, use of the 60" was not a problem and I can see where 75" or 77" or even 82" would be fine, but pretty overwhelming possibly, so they are limits.. I've a 42" in my 'office' to keep tabs on news, sports during the day, but the 60" is a couple inches too tall for the shelf, so no point in dreaming I guess.. Actually, if I rearranged it a little, and did a wall mount, I could make it work. Hmmm.. No, I need to focus on the family room!

I'm hoping to stay under $3k, and my have to have another look at wall mounting, but I see the 75" sets are close to 80#'s, shave to think about it..

This is all going on as I had to replace our recliner, that made the couch look bad, so next week the couch arrives, maybe have to shuffle some prints we have behind the couch, as the new couch is larger.. I'm afraid this is going to lead to repainting the whole room before it's over!

Hey, we have to keep busy anyway, right?
Correct, we are so spoiled, and I, so far don't subscribe to 4K content, have the BluRay player, but never hooked it up, so some will be overkill unless we go crazy and do dive deeper..

My BIL has dug in, and does subscribe to the 4K content, but his interest has faded a bit...

What got us looking is the scenery in the Prime Tin Star series, filmed in the Canadian Rockies, it looks great, even on our 60" set...