No. of Recommendations: 2
Want an Ad-Free Social Network? Wikipedia's Co-Founder Made One

WT:Social will operate like Wikipedia by relying on donations to keep the operation

afloat. Nixing the ads also means users won't have to worry about data collection.

PC article here: https://www.pcmag.com/news/371994/want-an-ad-free-social-net...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Problem there is the myriad of connections already made, friends, family and beyond already linked via FB, there is no way everyone could, or would slide over to a new setup.. So maybe a new beginning, but not for old salts..
No. of Recommendations: 3
Facebook is evil.

Charlie Brown
Problem there is the myriad of connections already made, friends, family and beyond already linked via FB, there is no way everyone could, or would slide over to a new setup.. So maybe a new beginning, but not for old salts.

Wow.

I'm not a Facebook user, I am a Facebook avoider.

I don't mean any offense to anyone, but what I read above makes me think how Facebook is like crack cocaine.

I haven't yet understood how people used, got addicted to and NOW keep going back and using it regardless of all the information available demonstrating the lifelong pitfalls that comes with it.

"It" meaning crack or Facebook.

ShelbyBoy
I haven't yet understood how people used, got addicted to and NOW keep going back and using it regardless of all the information available demonstrating the lifelong pitfalls that comes with it.

Because people are living apart and it fills the void between major holidays when the family gets together. I got to see my nieces and nephews growing up. Now I'm see their kids growing up. Depending on someone to email photos to you is unreliable and time consuming.

PSU

It wasn't Facebook in my case, it goes much further back into the earliest BBS setups friends in the '80s to connect, share the tech stuff we came across, on into Lists, and so on... Linkages that led into hobby groups, genealogy, computers, cars, woodworking, and whatever was the hobby of the day.. Yahoo's discussion boards, lists, many others tied folks together without the physical limits, so Facebook, twitter took it and built it into what t is today.. Manageable, handy, an instant connection for those with similar interests..

A great recent example out here in the West is the various Firestorm Groups, wit these connections better, faster information channels that the old missing daily newspapers ever had. Common interests, sharing of help links, warnings... Sure beats anything prior to what it was.. Today, our local police, fire, sheriff, even city, county departments have open dialogs sorting out headaches.. Toss in tourism, wine country, hiking, foodies, the only limit is ones imagination... You control it, not some anonymous manager, just an admin, with an open messaging link a click away.. Don't like it, start your own Group... Your own interests, controls on who has access, how public you want it to be..

I don't see the need for fear some have, caution, understanding, not fear...

Ham radio, was an even earlier forum for those that stuck with it.. Phone patches, worldwide linkages...

weco..
No. of Recommendations: 1
What do family members, friends, business associates, etc. get from Facebook that they couldn't get from a TMF board, for example?

(Except for the lack of having your private data shared and sold?)

ShelbyBoy
What do family members, friends, business associates, etc. get from Facebook that they couldn't get from a TMF board, for example?

Photos.
Facebook is evil.

It's just a tool. It's how it's used that can be evil.

But almost any "echo chamber" on the Internet can do that.

Photos.

Share photos but lose privacy on a lot of fronts. I'm certainly not persuaded to join.

And we won't even start on privacy losses depending on the subject of the photos.

ShelbyBoy
But almost any "echo chamber" on the Internet can do that.

Yes, it can.

When TMF was a lot more visited than it is now and before the modern ilk of Facebook / echo chamber were around, I don't remember today's problems being reported as they are today.

ShelbyBoy
Share photos but lose privacy on a lot of fronts. I'm certainly not persuaded to join.

And we won't even start on privacy losses depending on the subject of the photos.

You asked. Just because you are uncomfortable with loss of privacy does not mean many others are not. You cannot share photos on TMF. You can't even post them even though one of the TMF founders promised to quit if that feature did not become available. As I explained in a previous post, as families spread out across the country instead of living at the same place generation after generation, places like Facebook allow them to remain in contact.

PSU
Just because you are uncomfortable with loss of privacy does not mean many others are not.

That's true.

Obviously true.

And of course it means some, or many, aren't aware of the "privacy" they have, will or could lose.

ShelbyBoy
"Facebook is evil."

Works for my needs.

Ken

If they sort it out, full control over who sees what, dummies can be totally blocked, you control spam, or any other irritation.. While still sharing what you want with either the Public, only Friends, or even Friends of Friends... Messaging is there if needed, too.. Or if you want to sell something, there's a Market place, want to promote your hobby, craft, artwork, pretty easy.. Want to play with 3D imaging, grab a newish iPhone, go for it... Politics is out there in whatever directions you want..

Like anywhere else, only put out there what is safe..

Uneasy about it, don't go there...

I Admin several Groups, from over 8,000 to 50 or 60... No problem... As anywhere, lots of lurkers, but lots of contributors, too.. I Joined, maybe 80 Groups of interest, don't always have time to check in everywhere, but do keep an eye on the ones I Admin.. Break the rules, gone!
Why anyone would post pictures of their children is beyond me.

Because they hate their children and want to contribute to the kidnappers' catalog?

My, oh my... Something that likely goes back into mankind's ancient societies? Wow..