Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The IRS publication on capital gains is not very helpful, so I'll turn to the Foolish community. I'm sure this question was asked, but, it's taking me too long to find it.

I use the average cost method for determining my tax basis for stock investments. Most of my holdings are 10 to 20 years long. However, I have bought shares in the past two years, and subsequently sold them. Now, the 1099 lists them as long term covered, in which the cost basis is reported to the IRS. The cost basis is not the average cost method.

So how do I report the sale of shares? Can I ignore the recorded cost basis on the 1099 and use my average cost method for the entire sale, which is different? Or do I use two different cost methods on the same stock, and report the sale in different lots with different purchase prices - some average cost, some actual purchase?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.