No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife bought a new Dell desktop recently. There are a couple of problems with its function; and I would appreciate your advice should you have some.

It came with IE, 9, I believe, as the installed browser. It runs on the most recent MS operating system.

1. She can not open multiple tabs once IE is running.
2. She can not download any other browser.
3. The Kaspersky I installed has disappeared.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? All I've tried is to download Chrome on my own computer and put it on a thumb drive to see if she can install from that, but that doesn't work.

She bought from Costco and is exploring options with them.
I doubt there are any viruses on it.....it's brand new.

How to proceed? Thanks for your thoughts.

Jimbo
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
It doesn't sound like a hardware problem...perhaps something strange with how the OS is set up...

She bought from Costco and is exploring options with them.

I've purchased electronics through Costco in the past; and their concierge service is pretty good. I suspect they'll be able to help her work through this...
Agreed, it's not a hardware problem....bad choice of words on my part.

Wife says the problem is widely discussed on the internet, and she is
reviewing the literature.

She has, independently, been in touch with Costco.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

Jim
Doesn't Dell offer support for their products?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Doesn't Dell offer support for their products?

Of course they do.

However, Costco has a few perks that they offer when you purchase computers (or electronics) through them:

- They'll supplement the manufacturer's warranty with their own...this typically means that a warranty will be doubled in length

- They offer a 'concierge' support service that customers can call in lieu of contacting the manufacturer directly. I've used them in the past and they're relatively knowledge. In the event that they determine that there's an issue with the hardware, then they'll work with the manufacturer on your behalf to have it fixed

- They offer a 'no questions asked' return policy. Don't like a laptop you bought? Just bring it back for a full refund...no problem.

When possible, I try to purchase through Costco for these reasons. With their free extended warranty, there's no need to purchase 'apple care-like' add-ons... ;)