No. of Recommendations: 0

does it make sense to travel New England in October by car? I don't want to bother with reservations because I'd like to be more flexible. Any chance that there are free rooms in B&B's or Motels at this time of the year?

Thanks

MacMurph
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I got stuck in Vermont during the period of the year when the leaves change and had to pay a fortune for a room (bad room). If the leaves are red, you'll have a hard time finding someplace to stay.

But it can be beautiful.

Mike €02
Many years ago, we did a foliage tour without advance reservations over the Columbus Day weekend. Sometimes it worked out OK but in the greater Boston area, it was a disaster. We ended up sleeping in an old, dirty hotel frequented by prostitutes because it was the only thing available. Think about it long and hard before doing it.

Sticks

Thanks Mike and Sticks!

Ok, I learned that it is not likely to find a good lodging place in New England without a reservation - hmm, does it make sense to explore this area with a motorhome? are there cool camping grounds available?

More and more I got the strange feeling in my guts that this place will be full of tourists/visitors ...

thanks anyway ....

MacMurph Aka Flo from Germany
Forget about Vermont over Columbys day weekend, three times we were so dumb to be there. Twice we ended up in a temporary B&B (farm) and once we drove up almost to the Canadian border to get a room for a reasonable orice. All the other rooms had highly inflated prices. However, that said, we didn't have problems in Maine, New Hamphire and Norther Vermont nor NY state.But don't wait with looking for a room until 6pm, get one earlier and then take off again.
(I live in Maine and it's soooo pretty but not as "cute" as Vermont)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi MacMurph: in case you are German: an American B&B is not the same as an English one or a German Zimmer mit Fruehstueck. They tend to be heavy on real antiques or antiques from the factory, Laura Ashley decor and everything overdone including the PRICES!!!!!!
FWIW, I recently (last week) planned a weekend in the White Mountains for the weekend of 12-14 October and found just about every place already booked up.

We're headed to the North Conway, NH area to take an all-day rail excursion, part of Rail Fan Weekend at Conway Scenic Railroad [www.conwayscenic.com].

I did find a cabin at a funky little, rehabbed 1920s "motor court" in Bartlett, NH [http://abetterlifecabinsandcampground.com]. The owners quickly responded to my email and were gracious to answer many personal questions. It appears to be a nice place, all things considered, and I hope it will be a great time. They do have space for motorhomes, too.

One piece of advice they gave me was not to allow my gas tank to drop much below half-full before filling up: gas stations are few and far between.

And yes, there will be a lot of people on the roads, I know.

wow. the pictures and the scenery are gorgeous

Thanks!

MacMurph