Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi. I am a long time Fool who just found this board. I am 54 with type 2 diabetes. Over the past 3 years, I have had partial amputations on both feet. I still have open wounds on both feet which limit my mobility. My blood sugars are under pretty good control ( morning count of 100 - 125) with the use of Glucophage and Glyburide. However, about every six months my infection flares up and my leg swells to the point that I end up in the hospital on antibiotics.
I know I need to loose some weight ( I am about 309 ). And I am going on a low carb diet to help achieve it. My only success on diets in the past has involved diet and a lot of walking ( up to 2 miles a day). My present condition will not allow the walking , so I am looking for suggestions for help.

On another note, I have had no trouble getting shoes after the amputation. Thank God for insurance ( $1200 a pair). But, sox are a problem. Has anyone found anthing that might help. I am seriously thinking of starting an on-line company to assist amputees. How does "Stumpy-Sox.com" sound to you?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.