Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Let me start by saying any and all critiques/advice is welcomed!! I'm doing this to learn! This is my first board post and it is also copied and pasted from my blog... just started that too, thanks for the tips!

Starting this blog up to keep track of lessons learned, ideas, and anything else I fit in. I'm going to define my outlook on stocks and use SA, information I find on fool.com and other places, as well as my own input to go sector by sector, chose the best couple of businesses in each sector, then attempt to figure out the best stocks out of those businesses. I am a long term investor (24yrs old investing untill I'm 60+) and will not be using any charting or technical tricks to try to make gains.

Personal Investing history

Started getting interested in investing in 2011 (senior year of college) didn't really know anything about it but I loved watching Jim Cramer and decided to take some of his advice.... let's just say it hasn't worked out for me.

I've probably lost about 6grand which is about 60% of what I've invested based off of that strategy.

I first lost money buying into stocks with no real strategy and no discipline... Didn't pay attention to valuation and was not comitted to my investments so I sold when the stocks I had went down.

My big losers we're GG and VXX. I had no idea how VXX worked and basically got down big, tried to hold out until more volatility came but then realized eventually I would probably have about .15 cents of my original 5k left so I sold it.

Strategy

I will max both my wife and my own Roth IRAs each year, using them to invest in Stocks only buying when I have a minimum of 1k to invest (7.99 per trade so trade fees will be under 1%)

My wife is investing 6% (maximum matched by employer) into her 401k into a vanguard index that tracks mid cap stocks

I am investing 6% into my Roth TSP (similar to 401k) into an index that tracks the s&P 500

Roth IRAs

Mine:

T

AAPL

USB

Wife's:

NOV

NLY (bought around 17.00 so down big, but holding on!)

Questions

With my timeframe in mind 36+ years left should I diversify my TSP/my wife's 401k into more than just the indexes tracking the S&P 500 and U.S. Mid cap stocks? Should I look into emerging market funds? The reason I have not yet is because of my extended timeline and the fact that the two particular funds I chose had better returns over 10 years than anything else I could buy into.... advice?

We've had NLY for over a year and bought at about $17.00, not currently planning to sell but should I? I'm thinking about buying more now to lower the Dollar Cost Average and just hope at some point in the next 26 to 30 years in gets back to 17...all the time collecting dividends

Same deal with T, bought around 38.... should I buy more and just sit on it while taking in the dividends?

What I plan on doing is spreading each of our IRAs out into 10-15 companies over time 20 at a maximum and just studying those companies to make sure nothing major is changing which would destory the companies and then basically hold on to them forever...or until I need the money after 26 or so more years.... good strategy?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.