No. of Recommendations: 0
Originally posted to what I presume was the wrong board...

For a couple of years I've had an iPhone 3 with iOS 6.x, and I've been generally happy with it. Last weekend, I finally was able to upgrade to an iPhone 4 which previously belonged to my wife. Between the new phone and iOS 7, I'm struggling to figure out what feels like basic issues.

1. On my old phone, when looking at text messages, I could look at texts from one person, hit Edit, and delete individual texts, mine or the other person's, but retain others. Now the only menu option at the top right of the message thread is 'Contact.' No more Edit button. I can go back to 'Messages', swipe the username to the left, and hit the red "Delete" square and delete the entire thread. But I prefer to keep individual texts. Is there a way to do so?

2. On my old phone, the Notes app looked like a notepad--yellow background with lines. On the iPhone 4, the Notes app is solid white with no lines. Can that be changed?

3. Here's what I think is going to be the big issue. On my old phone, I had a few dozen music files. My son spent a long time in iTunes trying to move the music from the old phone to my new one, but not everything moved over.

What's even more puzzling is when I'm setting an alarm, I prefer to select a music file to sound the alarm rather than one of the built-in ringtones. But when I click "Sound>>Pick a song" there is a list of music files that belonged to my wife. I don't see her songs in my Music app, but I do in the Alarm Clock app. How is that possible?

4. On my old phone, I was able to download over 20 podcasts for future listening without any trouble. A couple of days ago, I tried to download less than ten podcasts when a notice popped up stating that I didn't have the free space available. I presumed this later model had more free space than my iPhone 3. I ended up deleting a couple of apps and some pictures and videos that I wasn't exactly ready to get rid of to make room. Is there something I'm missing?

I know I'm behind the times with the older model, but I'd appreciate any advice here. Thank you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.