Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
We couldn’t resist adding a shot of our favorite liquor to Java Monster. Damn if that don’t make it taste better and work quicker.

Brain storm: Make a Java Monster cocktail!

Reality check: Its easier to invent time travel that to eat energy coffee with alcohol past big brother.

Solution: Take our favorite spirit remove the alcohol add the flavor to Java Monster – success!

Java Monster Irish Blend a Non-alcoholic version of your favorite coffee cocktail buzz compliments of Monster.

Printed behind my Irish Blend Monster Java can.

I’ve been curious about the Irish Blend ever since David (Pencils2) posted a link to the monster website. As a stockholder, I hate to admit that I don’t care for the taste but I honestly didn’t care for the monster energy drink I tasted two years ago either. I originally bought the stock because I love their sodas so I got lucky since their sodas are still virtually unknown outside of the Bay Area that I know of.

My post today is mainly about my experience in the gas station store where I purchased this drink. The store manager (I assume he was the manager) saw my purchase and went on and on about how much he loved the drink. He started the conversation when he thought I got the Russian Java which he swore tasted just like a White Russian. He told me they just got them in and they have ten new flavors. He mentioned Lost has one that taste like margarita but is too sweet in his opinion. I quote, he said the new Java drinks are “da bomb!” several times. I love this level of excitement and the personal testimonial promotions.

Side note – I didn’t find the Irish blend with the other Monster Java’s but rather in the other energy drink section with the other Monsters so I almost walked out without it. The older Java’s were in with other coffee drinks like Starbucks. I’m guessing this is just temporary since they are new.

That guy’s enthusiasm made me think about how Hansen has managed to cross into a different and wider market segment with the Java. I remember talks last year of them competing with Red Bull in the bar scene, I can never remember what those shots are called. I think they may have a better chance this summer.

Another side note – anyone catch the last few red bull commercials? I used to think they have cute commercials but I didn’t care for the last two but then I’m probably not their target audience.

Back to Hansen. Anyone who thinks energy drinks are a fad, I strongly disagree and I’m sure the industry disagrees evident by the new brands that are popping up. I don’t have the statistics but I don’t recall seeing as many energy drink brands when I moved here 2 ½ years ago. Basic economic theory tells us that when an industry is successful, more players enter the market, depending on how high the barrier to enter the market is (moat). I believe Hansen is leading the way in innovating energy drinks with the new Java drinks and will be gaining more ground faster than before. Not a traditional moat but I don’t think anyone can successful argue that they are a fad or got where they are by accident. Their product diversity and marketing strategy are well thought out or else they wouldn’t have worked this long.

Energy drink, by the way, is not a new thing. I remember my dad drinking a little known brand here (wish I remember the name) 15+ years ago when I was growing up in Asia. The little bottle he drank was palm size, tiny compared to what is offered today. Side note 3: There is a warning on the Monster Java to not exceed more than 3 cans a day but I can’t imagine anyone drinking more than one a day, maybe two if they work long hours.

Thank you for your attention. I know this little analysis is not very quantitative but you can always get that from key statistics, free and easily available via finance.yahoo.com. If you need some highlights – 0.002 debt/equity ratio, 73% quarterly earnings growth, 38% quarterly revenue growth, 1.07 PEG ratio etc.

I didn't even talk about the distribution deals with Anhouser-Busch and Pepsi Co. Canada or international expansions etc.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Diane
Long HANS
Long SBUX
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.