Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I had to leave my LS at the dealers this morning to have a thermostat replaced on a call back, and have my summer tires put back on,(fingers crossed). When I went looking for a car to "borrow" for the day I spied a new Mustang, and recalled the long involved discussions we've had here about the suitability of such a vehicle for 16 years old girls.

Since I hadn't driven a Mustang in who knows how long, I took it. It was just the V6 auto, a nice dark green with alum wheels, a spoiler and gold side stripe. It's a nice looking and driving car, and actually reminds me of an old Mustang (I had a 66 in 66, and several others in the distant past). The V6 sure doesn't give you enough power to get in much trouble, but would probably be enough for most driving.

Verdict; great car for a 16 year old girl.
Print the post Back To Top

Until she lets her boyfriend drive it ;-)

Twit
Until she lets her boyfriend drive it ;-)
===*===

Yeah, right, what teenage boy is gonna want to be seen driving a six cylinder mustang?
RE: "what teenage boy is gonna want to be seen driving a six cylinder mustang?"

Probably 2 more cylinders than his Hinda has?
RE: "his Hinda has?"

Of course I mean "has Handa hos"
Probably 2 more cylinders than his Hinda has?
===*===

Typo aside we'll wait for you at the next light. WOOT!
Of course I mean "has Handa hos"
===*===

College was good for handa hos.

=======================================================================

Until the first snow storm.

UncleLee

It's a nice looking and driving car, and actually reminds me of an old Mustang (I had a 66 in 66, and several others in the distant past). The V6 sure doesn't give you enough power to get in much trouble, but would probably be enough for most driving.

The mechanic who works on my RoadRunner found and brought in yesterday a 66? (square kinda flat tailights) fastback Mustang GT, 289, 4 bbl, 4 speed. It had been stored in a building since 1990.
I think this was the same type car Don Nicholson ran Pro Stock before his first 'real' Pro Stock was finished. Of course Don had a 'big' motor in his.

When I left, they were draining, flushing, cleaning, filling and preparing to bring it back to life.

Tigerman

No. of Recommendations: 4
Now all kidding aside, you are underestimating the performance of this V6 Mustang. In an age of Import Car Madness where every teen wants an import to tune up, a V6 Mustang is still a performance contender with 0-60 times under 8 seconds even with a V6 auto. In spite of the posting on this thread, this is not to be scoffed at. A V6 5 Speed Mustang does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, which is only half a second slower than my '87 LX 5.0 5 speed did on the street! (Now, that was a car...)

In retrospect, this matches the performance of many of the small block and big block muscle cars of the late 60's. (Hold on, just look at the performance times in those old mags before you reply that I'm off my meds...)

All armchair racing aside, many 60's muscle cars were only capable of 15 second 1/4's. Those Poly Glass tires only took so much horsepower before they lit up in smoke. (Yes, I'm excluding the rare exceptions like Copo and ZL1 Camaros, Boss 351's, Hemi Cuda's, 440 Darts, etc...)

If you lived in the 60's and had a girlfriend, would you have let her drive your 350 Camaro, your 351 Mustang, or your 400 Javelin? Probably not.

Now put it in context with a current V6 Mustang, and remember it's not the car that might be dangerous, it's the driver behind the wheel that might be. Make sure she learns that any vehicle, even a V6 Mustang, is a dangerous vehicle if it is driven foolishly by men or women of any age. Proper driver education training is as important as the lives it may save...

docrobot
No. of Recommendations: 1
Now put it in context with a current V6 Mustang, and remember it's not the car that might be dangerous, it's the driver behind the wheel that might be. Make sure she learns that any vehicle, even a V6 Mustang, is a dangerous vehicle if it is driven foolishly by men or women of any age. Proper driver education training is as important as the lives it may save...
docrobot

I think acceleration can be a benefit for merging onto highways and getting the job done but, overall, driver attitude, skills and judgement probably are as much or more determining factors of survival in the sea of asphalt.

We know there will be a requirement to deal with tailgaters, sudden lane changers, four lane crossing exit seekers, testosterone driven boys and men along with a few people whose travel must be expedited and recognized as the top priority of all humans.

The skills most required, it seems to me are car handling, space management and judgement although a little performance never hurts.

Tigerman