ILOG 151.29%
BLDP 269.41%
XLA 588.17%
SCON 589.74%

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
maikeru: Candidates, RightNow? Others?

I'd like to nominate the following: EKONF EWDAF FMDAY GWRX DSGX

I may have another one in a couple of days since I can't seem to resist the temptation to continually scour the web for more undiscovered gems. Just wish I had enough money to buy ALL I want of ALL of them ;o) Scarcity of resources sucks!

P.S. -- I'd also like to suggest an "emerging incubators" category for up-and-coming VC companies like AIS, GBT, FBR, VCAT, EKONF, CWAHF, ENON, and ICALF.
RightNow,

NSATF is up 59% for me despite Friday's nastiness. Thank you. In the fast growing satellite tech industry your thoughts on the potential of EMS Technologies symbol ELMG? Revenues of 242 million with only a 152 million dollar market cap. MSN feature story has ELMG as a small cap wireless play as well.

Good luck and good trading,

Shonjir
Shonjir,

I've looked at ELMG and I like it a lot. Wish I had some. Oh well, too many great stocks and not enough resources to own 'em all.

Like livin' in a small-cap candy store with no spare change. 'Scuze me Miss, gotta dime?

maikeru, you might want to include one of these superconductor stocks on your list. Can't get much more speculative or more "emerging" ;-)

AMSC, SCON, CDTS, or ISCO

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1330599002200000&post=true

Lotsa momo on these babies. I think CDTS gets my vote on minimal research so far.

maikeru, you might want to include one of these superconductor stocks on your list. Can't get much more speculative or more "emerging" ;-)

AMSC, SCON, CDTS, or ISCO

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1330599002200000&post=true

Lotsa momo on these babies. I think CDTS gets my vote on minimal research so far.

SCON's already on the list, wireless companies are already deploying the technology in their base stations. I'll add CDTS too.

Mike
<<SCON's already on the list, >>

Yep, I was replying before reading your follow up post saying you had left it off. I should read the rest of the thread before posting, but I was way behind.

<<I'll add CDTS too.>>

Not sure if you want a double dip or not. Up to you. If so, then PLUG would be a candidate for a fuel cell double dip along with BLDP.

Thanks for your efforts.

Bill

vasdoc2 posted a nice collection of links on superconductor technologies...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1330942007066001&sort=postdate

SCON, ISCO, and CDTS are the ones getting all the attention. I read some of the technical details and here's a summary.

1) SCON and CDTS use thin film technology while ISCO uses thick film technology which is technically superior in reducing noise.

2) SCON uses a helium cooling system which is more expensive but requires no maintenance, while ISCO and CDTS both use a cheaper gas and the process requires occasional maintenance to replace oil. (lube job?)

I have a position larger than I should have bought in SCON, but it won't kill me if it drops significantly. I'll probably nibble on ISCO and maybe some CDTS.

Here's a snippet from the MSN article, "Superconductor Technologies, which boasts Intel (INTC) founder Robert Noyce as one of its own founders back in 1988, has nearly 60 superconducting patents to its credit..." that I found interesting along with the news of actual sales and deployments of the technology in wireless base stations.

I agree with your suggestion to add PLUG to the index.

Mike
I'd like to nominate the following: EKONF EWDAF FMDAY GWRX DSGX

It isn't easy getting historical quotes on a lot of the xxxxF tickers, so I'll lump them in foreign issues for now, but I'll add the rest to this port.

I may have another one in a couple of days since I can't seem to resist the temptation to continually scour the web for more undiscovered gems. Just wish I had enough money to buy ALL I want of ALL of them ;o) Scarcity of resources sucks!

I hear ya, I'm trying to keep-up with all your picks but my RN folder is getting mighty long. *grin*

P.S. -- I'd also like to suggest an "emerging incubators" category for up-and-coming VC companies like AIS, GBT, FBR, VCAT, EKONF, CWAHF, ENON, and ICALF.

That's a good idea, but again I might have trouble with the foreign issues.

Mike
Mike,

How did you come to choose between SCON and ISCO? A friend of mine is in on ISCO. I am undecided as to which is the superior investment.]

Mark
How did you come to choose between SCON and ISCO? A friend of mine is in on ISCO. I am undecided as to which is the superior investment.

I like SCON because their SuperFilter product is compact and they use the Stirling method of cooling which uses helium and requires no maintenance. ISCO and CDTS use a Nitrous gas system that requires maintenance to replace oil.

I also chose ISCO because they use thick-film technology vs. thin filter which is used by both SCON and CDTS. I'm investing in the differentiation until I understand the significance of it all.

I don't have a position in CDTS but I'm watching it carefully.

I also own AMSC which is mentioned in the Power report at Gildertech. They have 170 patents on superconducting technology.

Personally, I like SCON the best. I just have a gut feeling that they have the feature set that the Japanese, who are building the next generation wireless, will find the most attractive.

Whoever wins in the Japanese market will have a advantage.

I just wish I knew who was handling their Japanese sales effort. If they had someone like Stephen Nicol at Puma, http://www.pumatech.com/profile-manage.html, then I'd put all my money into SCON.

They are also very strong technically, SCON has a Nobel Prize recipient on their board.

J. Robert Schrieffer,Ph.D., founded the Technical Advisory Board of the Company in August 1987 and has served as its Chairman since that time. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the Company since October 1988. He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1972 for work in superconductivity theory, and he has received many other professional honors including the National Medal of Science. Dr. Schrieffer is a Past President of the American Physical Society. He is also the University Eminent Scholar of the State of Florida University System and has been the Chief Scientist of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory since January 1992. Dr. Schrieffer was Chancellor's Professor of Physics and Director of the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara from 1980 to 1991. Dr. Schrieffer serves on a number of government and industrial committees and is a Fellow of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, heading its Advanced Study Program in High Temperature Superconductivity Theory from 1988 to 1993. Dr. Schrieffer received his Ph.D. and M.S. in physics from the University of Illinois and his B.S. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I was an undergrad at UCSB while he was there. This stuff makes me almost wish I took more physics classes while I was there.

It's interesting to note that Materials Science is also a key field in superconducting. I studied computer science, but got work in the Materials Science department writing educational software. The Materials Science and Superconducting groups had the best budgets at the time. I worked for two high profile professors who had come from U. of Illinois to build the Materials Science program at Santa Barbara. It makes a lot of sense that two of the leading Superconductor companies are located in Illinois and Santa Barbara.

Mike
Thanks Mike for clarifying the issues regarding the different superconductor technologies.

Mark