Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Over the past week, I have become the owner of a new Minimed 722 with continuous BS monitoring capabilities. I am really interested to see if I can reduce my Hgb A1c from the current 6.8-7.2 range to a lower range in the coming months.

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 43 years. I have minimal long term damage (few microaneurysms in my eyes). I went to see a Dr. Bode in Atlanta. He is a diabetologist who works closely with Minimed. I last saw him about 3 yrs ago and he said at that time that the continuous monitoring was "not ready for primetime."

My old 508 pump recently lost it's internal battery and needed to be replaced. When I saw Dr. Bode again a couple of weeks ago, he felt that this was a technology that I could now try out. There are a couple of downsides:
1.Insurance will not cover the costs (which are quite high)
2.It involves a second puncture site for the monitor
3.I still have to check FSBS's 3 times a day to calibrate the sensor.

My first impression from watching my post prandial blood sugar changes is that I was doing a pretty good job of management, probably a better job than I would have given myself credit for. Anyway, I'll post back here as I and my new monitor and pump get better aquainted for anyone that may be interested.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.