Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm the director of a small non-profit, and we're about to set up our first-ever retirement plan for our handful of employees. It will be a 403(b), the nonprofit version of a 401(k). We will probably work with TIAA-CREF, since several of our staff already have accounts there, either pensions from previous jobs or IRAs.

My dilemma is this: I want to ensure the maximum benefit for employees (and I'm one of them), but I have to "sell" this to my Board, who are very nervous about being committed to an expenditure that they've avoided until now.

So, do I recommend a set amount paid by the organizatin to each employee per year - either a flat sum, or a percentage of salary? Or, do I recommend that the Board match employee contributions - up to a certain dollar amount, or a percentage of salary? or some combination of the two? And what percentages are commonly used?

I have little personal experience with this kind of account to draw on. What is commonly done, and what are the advantages/disadvantages to employee and to the organization?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm new to this Board, but not to the Fool.

alix

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.