Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
CROSS POSTING FROM THE CREDIT CARD & CONSUMER DEBT FORUM:

So DW and I are expecting DC (dear child?) #2 in March :)

I want to take her away for a vacation. We havent really done much together in the last 3 years, since DD joined our clan. Problem is, I really dont want to take the money from our e fund, and I also dont have money set for a vacation (we used it taking DD to Disney earlier this year.

So, I am thinking I might open a new rewards card.

The idea being that it could offset trip costs. I dont anticipate any major purchases (we bought the house; we do have a leased car that we need to re-up or buy a car in 2017/18), so I am not terribly worried about near term FICO impact.

There are a couple of rewards options, and I am trying to get a handle on how to compare them. I currently have a discover (love the cashback!) that I use predominately and pay off each month. We also have a Cap1 venture card. This one is easy to figure out: 2% back on everything and each point is worth $0.01. So a $400 flight = 40,000 points

For this initiative, I am considering the three following options (and assuming I qualify--i have over 800 fico score):

Option 1: Amex Starwood SPG card -- 30,000 SPG points bonus / $95 annual fee after first year
Option 2: Amex Platinum -- 100k points (worth up to $1k in travel?) / $450 annual fee (so... that makes it work up to $550 in travel?)
Option 3: Citi Hilton HHonors care -- 75k points / $0 annual fee
Option 4: Chase Sapphire -- 40k points/ $95 annual fee after first year, 40k points enough for $500 flight

Seems that option 3 would translate in to 7500 United OnePass miles or (for a particular date) a 5 night stay in a standard room in a property in aruba that costs $1200 otherwise

Option 1 seems to have the best points transferability.

Option 2 seems like not a great option

Option 3 gives a bonus when redeeming for travel, so 40k points = $500 in airfare/hotel. While I have heard great things about Amex reward points, I have read mixed reviews on chase

Sorry for being so long winded... Any perspective would be appreciated!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.