No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi, I'm new to the board, but not the fool. Has anyone read Up Country by Nelson Demille? It is the sequel to the Generals Daughter-excellent book. Best book I've read in a long time. I'll check back. I love to read, it's one of my favorite things to do.

CristyneS
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the boards CristyneS.

I have not read "Up Country" but I thought "The General's Daughter" was a great book and I didn't even realize that Demille wrote a sequel. I will definitely check it out.

The General's Daughter: Great book, BAD movie
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have not read either one. But I thought The General's Daughter was a pretty good movie. Which is surprising considering how I feel about John Travolta. Not my usual taste so I caught it on cable.

It never really occurred to me to read the book but I think I will. I'm trying to expand on my Speculative Fiction/Trashy Romance library.

ataxwitch
*hates John Travolta...
If you liked the movie then you will love the book.

John Travolta's character in the book was so smooth and had so much more depth. I know that's not really fair, obviously you get to know the characters in a novel more deeply, but the similarities between the lead character in the film and the book were few.

I'm having a hard time remembering the exact ending of the book -- but I do remember that they butchered it in the film.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Picked up the book on Friday. It IS better than the movie. Haven't finished it yet, it was a busy weekend, but I am enjoying it.

ataxwitch
*always happy to meet a new author/genre/hero.
John Travolta's character in the book was so smooth and had so much more depth. I know that's not really fair, obviously you get to know the characters in a novel more deeply, but the similarities between the lead character in the film and the book were few.

Pokey,
I found reading the book with John Travolta in my mind as the main character made the reading the book more enjoyable. It's the type of book that after you read it you keep thinking about it. I am now just starting to read DeMilles book "Charm School" , so far so good.

CristyneS
Glad your liking it, let me know what you think when you are done.

CristyneS
Hi, I'm new to the board, but not the fool. Has anyone read Up Country by Nelson Demille?

I'm new to the board as well. I love Nelson Demille and could not wait for Up Country . It was pretty good, but not my favorite Demille book. Maybe we won't have to wait 2 years for the next one!

It looks like he has already sold the film rights and that Travolta will probably be in the role of Paul Brenner for this one too!

http://www.nelsondemille.net/feature_films.htm

If anyone out there is interested in Demille and Vietnam another book dealing with Vietnam was Word of Honor . WOH is about a former Lt. who is court-martialed for events that happened in Vietnam.

My favorite Demille novel is By the Rivers of Babylon .

Looking forward to participating on this board too!

Dawn
Kling,

Thanks for the link. I will have to look at reading the books you mentioned.

CristyneS