Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hello to everyone who may find the time to read this..

I am a reservist on a overseas tour in the middle east with the US Military. I have been here going on 7 months now and have just found out I will be here another year. I have been blessed to be stationed in a location which provides me with wireless internet access in our barracks for when we have downtime. Seeing we have nowhere to go out here and I am in my civilian life a busy bee doing several different things (Deputy Sheriff full-time, Registered Nurse part-time, Coast Guard reservist and Dad). I am finding myself in a need to pursue a part-time occupation to fill my void out here.

I have expressed an interest in learning the stock market for a long time now, seeing my pay is currently tax-exempt for another 12 months, I thought this to be an opportunity to learn the market. I already have a few thousand each invested in the Federal Thrift Savings plan and a Deferred Compensation account with a company called ICMA. I as well have another few thousand in "I" Savings bonds. Seeing I have some savings set aside, I should be able to afford a little risk this year and if successful, be in a position not to be taxed too heavily.

I read the recent article on Pencils2 and was inspired on not just his age, but his investment strategy. I was looking at using Sharebuilder, but wasn't sure of thier reputation vs. all the other online brokers. Pencils2 had mentioned using them in his articles, which has put me at ease for my decision to start an account with them. Now at this point it's a matter of learning the game.

For Starters, I was intreged by Ebay's acquisition of Skype, this being I am currently a Skype user in overseas as one, they offer a PDA version of thier software on my ETEN M600 PDA/cell phone, which is saving me about 30 cents a minute to call home through the cheapest means (Militel charges 18.5cents/min +my 15cents/minute to use my cell phone out here, additionally, they recently came out with thier "Skype in", which allows me to purchase a phone number in the US for $38.00/yr and it will transfer any local phone call from that area code to ethier my Skype if I am logged in or my Personal Cell phone out here in Kuwait, which the latter seems to work pretty good for a beta program.

My thoughts on this, along with Ebay looking to use it to enhance their on-line vendors with the "Skype me" button to contact the vendors directly (especially when they can have it directed to thier own cell or home phone without giving out the personal phone number) makes me believe that this will have potential in bringing Ebay out of thier slump later this year. I concur with Pencils2 in his belief of Ebay making a wise decision to purchase Skype as I see it greatly enhancing their services.

For this, I am looking to make my first investment into purchasing 10 shares of Ebay and with using sharebuilder, probably continue to purchase a few shares every couple weeks until I see what happens when Skype is incorporated into Ebay's operations. I feel optimistic on this companies potential..

Respectfully,
Gary
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.