Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First off, thank you all for the education you are providing me. How you guys get the time to read, let alone post, on all these different boards is beyond me. Responses to the questions below are greatly appreciated!

I have several questions on the book and the boards so I will try to make this quick:

Boards=
1) For people with little time to rummage through FUD, what are the 2/3 top places a Gorilla Gamer should go for intelligent discussion (feel free not to include the TMF if I am in the wrong spot)?
2) What investing philosophies would you suggest I examine next to build on the Gorilla principals (please provide sources if possible: books, chat groups, URL's)?

Book (1st edition)=
3) In chapter 9, Paul Johnson tries to explain how he recognized markets going into a tornado. He uses several tables (pg. 212,215,etc.) to show quarter to quarter growth. Is it just me? The shaded area, which he indicates as when a tornado is identifiable, is basically a single quarter's increase with a decrease preceding it. A pattern similar to times before and after it. How does someone extrapolate a tornado market from a single quarter jump without the advantage of hindsight? I shouldn't be looking at the companies' relative growth to its competitors, should I? Tornadoes should be a function of the entire market booming, not individual share within it.
4) Where in the ?!@#% do you find data to build quarter to quarter market growth for a specific market???

I thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies. I hope that some day I will be able to contribute a fraction of what you have already provided me.

-Dan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1

1) For people with little time to rummage through FUD, what are the 2/3 top places a Gorilla Gamer should go for intelligent discussion (feel free not to include
the TMF if I am in the wrong spot)?
2) What investing philosophies would you suggest I examine next to build on the Gorilla principals (please provide sources if possible: books, chat groups,
URL's)?

Have you tried SI?
www.siliconinvestor.com

The SI boards are very much like TMF's when it comes to post quality. You'll gleen much knowledge scanning various posts. Just remember no matter where you go, you will be hip deep in FUD. And even deeper in Pump-ism. Somewhere betwixt lies the truth.

If you are looking for a great periodical but don't want to break your wallet, I suggest The Red Herring. Red Herring is produced once per month and is stuffed full of great articles. I purchased my subscription through www.bn.com for about $25/yr -> great deal.

Great books? Here are some diverse investing philosophies, all worth giving a look regardless of your affinity (or lack thereof) for technology stocks:

The Warren Buffet Way by Hagstrom
Rule Breakers, Rule Makers by David and Tom Gardner
One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch
What Works on Wall Street by O'Shaughnessy

All are worthy reading. Even though Buffet and Lynch are technophobes, their analysis of what makes or breaks a company applies to all sectors. Lynch is also much more willing to take his profits than is Buffet (who prefers to hold ad finitum) so you will get both sides of a winning stories to develop a strategy around.

The Gardners expand on the work of Hagstrom and Lynch in many respects, clearly influenced by both. They are anything but technophobes. A very readable book for beginning and intermediate investors, and a valuable resource for advanced investors.

O'Shaughnessy's book is geared toward mechanical investing. However the backtested data should give you ideas for screening for stock ideas, and also flash a red light if a company you own is on the opposite side of the spectrum historically. Just a suggestion, I happen to be very mechanical by nature.

Now repeat after me, "I like fud. Fud is good. Fud make QCOM cheap. Fud make MSFT cheap. Fud rules."

My biggest problem is everytime someone on the TMF boards gets into a hissy fit and starts screaming FUD, and can't help but picture a dumpy hunter with an elephant gun tracking a wascly-wabbit.

Print the post Back To Top