Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all;

Got a question. I'm curious how do you go about compelling somebody to pay for services rendered. And when they pay late, how do I know what I can legally charge for a "late fee" and what I can charge as a penalty for a "bad check".

Currently I bill for services with payment due upon receipt of invoice. If payment is not returned (postmarked) within 10 days (just dropped from 30 days) I add a 25% late fee, and send another bill. I haven't had a bad check "YET", but on my invoice it is clearly stated "Returned checks will not be re-submitted and will result in a $50.00 service charge".

As for the person who hasn't paid. I did a job for a lady back in April, total due $87.00. I left her an invoice at house. 3 weeks went by, and since I felt sorry for her, single mom, husband recently deceased, I called her and left a reminder on her machine of the amount due, and the 30 day deadline for a 25% late fee to be added. 2 days later she called me back and apologized for being late with my payment, and that she was putting a check in the mail the next day. Check never arrived, so on 30 day date plus 2 days to allow her the benefit of the doubt, I added the 25% late fee which brought her bill up to about $119 or some such. And mailed her a new bill with the updated amount. That was almost 2 weeks ago and still no word. What else can I do? I want to be fair, but I also am owed money and I want it.

Thanks;

Darrin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.