Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, all –

I noticed this board and thought I'd stop by and ask some questions.

I was diagnosed in mid-October as pre-diabetic or if you prefer, glucose intolerant. That is, my blood sugar level is 115. If I eat a lot of carbs/sugar, my BS stays relatively low, then starts climbing and climbing, then crashes. (Family history of 'borderline' type 2 Diabetes. My mother was just diagnosed.) My doctor suggested I follow a modified Atkins diet.

I've noticed that I will get a Low Blood Sugar episode (racing heart, feelings of anxiety, etc.) if I don't get something substantial within me within 2 hours of getting up (I get up at 5:30). I've found that 1/4C orange juice in the same amount of water, drunk quickly, helps set things up, then a breakfast of an egg (or, rather, egg substitute) on bread with cheese or some sort of meat, tea with milk, is OK.

Here's the question: after about three hours I start getting those 'crashing' feelings again. I understand that I should be packing snacks: does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a complete loss. Small apples? Peanut butter?

I bought Type II Diabetes (the book) and it's useful to a degree, but when they speak of what to eat the first thing said is “talk to your nutritionist”. Well, I don't have a nutritionist, and my doctor's guidance was restricted to a one-liner: “You're pre-diabetic at 115; follow the Atkins diet.”

Sorry for the whine (I realize that I'm fortunate to be where I am as to blood sugar level), but suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.