Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
After lurking at numerous boards and reading the sites here at the Fool, MSN Moneycentral, SI, & Clearstation to educate myself about investing and trying to come up with an overall strategy I am now ready to go. I have been investing somewhat haphazardly, investing in mutual funds here & there and investing in individual stocks here & there. After reading the mechanical investing, foolish workshop, gorilla game, l'union fait la force, and rat's broadband wagon board I've come up with the following near term strategy using my taxable & IRA/401k funds (which comprise 80% of my portfolio total currently).

IRA (80%)
Gorilla, Kings, Rule Maker & Rule Breakers-------30%, comprised of Next Gen Networks, Grandfather Gorillas, & RB/RM Kings (about 20-30 stocks)
Mechanical Investing-----------------------------30%, comprised of 50/50 blend RS-0 1-25:4 M and PEG-0 1-10:4 M (8 stocks total)
Index & Mutual Funds-----------------------------40%, comprised of S&P500, growth, midcap, & tech funds (as dictated by my employer's 401k)

Taxable (20%)
Gorilla, Kings, RM/RB---------------------------40%, comprised mostly of Grandpa Gorillas
MI----------------------------------------------40%, comprised of 50/50 blend KeyEPS 1-10:4 A and Spark 1-10:4 A
Index & Mutual Funds----------------------------20%, comprised of QQQ, SPY, and tech fund

You're probably wondering why I've mixed the Gorilla/Kings RM/RB strategies with MI. Well, part of it is the thrill of finding the next Cisco, Intel, Microsoft, the other part is the allure of low maintenance MI. Bruce Brown's tome on NextGenNetworks and the Gorilla Game book has me salivating with the possible astronomical returns while reading LAPropDoc's soapbox report also has me convinced of MI's low maintenance and high CAGR (>60% with a CAGR/GSD >1.5) strategies. Gorilla boys will probably say “if you do Gorilla Game right it will be low maintenance.” However, I feel Gorilla Gaming will still require some due diligence on one's part, thereby not as low maintenance as MI. Also I intend to use the MI strategies I've chosen as a means to identify hypergrowth companies (as mentioned I believe by Xerohype).

As a MI and Gorilla Gaming newbie, I believe I still have lots to learn. Hence, the reason for this post (I am posting at both the MI and Gorilla Gaming board). I am requesting that the board comment and critique this strategy. Are the allocations out of whack? Should I use different MI strategies other than those mentioned? Am I missing something obvious?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.