Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
...All the support he provides you is considered taxable under the gift tax laws. This includes half of all housing, utilities, home repair, food, transportation and any other bills that he pays that you benefit from. There is a $10k exemption. Everything else is taxable at the gift tax rate. I think that is 55%.

My next door neighbor is a single woman living with her 6 year old child. Half of her housing, utilities, home repair, food, etc certainly add up to way more that $11k (they raised it from $10k a while back). If support is a taxable gift, she and many parents are in exactly the same situation as unmarried couples since the only unlimited exemption to gift taxes is for spouses.

I believe this issue has been discussed on the tax board before, but the only posts I can currently find on the topic are these:

I definitely think some more research is in order before anyone starts mailing off big checks to the IRS.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.