Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted this on the Health & Fitness board, forgetting I had marked this board, and the low carb boards, too..

Recommendations: 1
Well, for me it's new.. Doc says I'm now technically diabetic.. So he scheduled a session with their Dietician/Nutritionist Sept 12th, since we're headed off on vacation, be back the 1st of September..

Not sure of my numbers, he gave me a glucometer, test strips, stabbers.. Again, pointless to start that until we return... But it will be an interesting learning process when I do start...

I'm to keep a week long log of what I am eating... No surprise, but by that time I'll have weaned myself away from several things, I'm sure, like Pepsi ( 1 a day), grape juice for breakfast, making mochas for coffee, not so much fruit...

limit serving sizes, per DW's Weight Watcher diet meals, small portions, no starches, normally, rice at times... She's done great, lost 100# a few years back, and keeping it off..

Me, I can lose my own 100# and likely help a ton, but I;m not seeing it slip away so far.. Feet are giving me fits, arthritis in a couple metatarsal joints I got past, stretches a huge help. But then I maybe overdid the walking, plantar fasciitis in my L foot, again, long stretches are helping, but we're headed off to Denmark, lots of walking, so my Bone Doc gave me a shot yesterday, see him when we get back, go from there.. I'm 6-2, about 295, want to get back to nearer 200, 215 was good, but a long time ago... So as noted, my goal is to take off near 100#..

So a lot to sort out... Doc was saying that even fruits are a problem, surprised me, we've always had fresh fruit around for snaks, another sugar source.. That hurts..

This journey begins... Soon...

Where to go from here? I suspect I need to get rolling with the glucometer...

weco
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
First, I'm sorry you've been diagnosed. Never fun. I am guessing since there was no urgency from your Dr that you are Type II and he wants you to start out with diet and exercise and monitoring your blood sugar levels.

I don't think it's pointless to wait to start glucose testing. It's not hard - use your pinky or ring finger tip. Figure out what setting on the lancing device (what you call stabber) gives you enough blood to load the test strip but not so much that you have extra. This will help you establish a baseline.

Your doctor probably told you to test your blood sugar when you wake up before breakfast, and maybe before lunch, dinner and bedtime. The morning test is called a "fasting" blood glucose reading because you will not have eaten while you were sleeping. The key is to not freak out at the glucose readings if they are high, but try to identify trends. Are there times of day when your blood sugar is lower or higher? How does it look before and after exercise.

You can stop or slow down eating and drinking the obvious stuff right away - sugared pepsi, lots of pasta, fried foods, etc. It's not that fruits are a problem - you still want a balanced diet with fruits, vegetables, proteins, dairy, etc. But as you noted, you practice portion control. What you will learn from the nutritionist is that you don't have to necessarily eliminate carbs from your diet, but you do have to control your intake both in quantity and in frequency.

You can start practicing that on your trip to Denmark (Jealous!). As you read the menus, look for more responsible options instead of the richest, most carb-loaded. If you will be walking a lot, that will likely make you hungrier, so try for lower carb, more filling snacks instead of ice cream, cookies. Maybe have some sugar-free cookies or candies with you. When you come back, discuss what you ate on your trip with the nutritionist and how it's similar or different from your diet back home.

The key is that you want to identify trends. If your fasting blood sugar is in one range for a long period of time and then spikes one day but returns to the baseline the next, it's not a big worry. But if it goes up and stays there, that's an indication you should possibly schedule an appointment with your doctor. Everyone's diabetes is different. You have to use the tools at your disposal to listen to your body. It's an educational process with your future at stake.

Fuskie
Who cautions that while he has lived with type 2 diabetes for 16 years, he is not a medical professional and has no business giving health advice...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX), Titan International (TWI)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Thanks Fuskie,

Yes, dietary changes, apparently, and monitoring... I'll get on it ASAP, but with all the running about with family and their travels, our getting ready, trying to remember what we need to bring, or not bring, too confusing for now.. Besides, the sneakiness of this, where I feel fine, other than the plantar fasciitis and general creakiness of my many decades, is rather surprising. Here I thought I was invincible!

So more exercise, I'm joing the Gym, City Sports, once we're back home, as well as getting back to a walking regimen I had until the recent foot issues.. Shoes were a concern, PolySorb inserts have, until now resolved most of my foot troubles. The/my overweight condition has to be pulled down...

So it's called Type 2, was wondering, so that is the diet controllable version, I guess...

OK, a lot to learn... Family gatherings will be interesting, beer, great food, I already stay pretty moderate, best tighten it even more!
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here's the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes:

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetes-differences-betwee...

Fuskie
Who notes you can also ask restaurants if they have any low sugar, low carb or diabetic-friendly offerings...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX), Titan International (TWI)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Where to go from here? I suspect I need to get rolling with the glucometer...

Yes, but think about it a moment. You were told to test 2x daily, or 3x. Twice daily testing is normally done:

1. when you get up (whenever that is), and
2. 2 hrs after evening meal *starts* (not when it ends--and no snacks or drinks in between unless plain water).

I have a more complete system than what most people normally see. But it is not hard. I just track net carbs (carbs minus fiber in each meal or snack) and that is what I use to see what works. What works for me does not necessarily work for you.

You need to establish a baseline--i.e., what is "normal" for you now.

When you start, eat the same thing every day at the same time. Then see if the readings are consistent or if they change a lot (particularly the morning reading). The evening reading will tend to vary more widely as what you do/eat during the day has a major impact on blood sugar level. You will see what has an impact and what does not--and can then adjust what you do and eat accordingly.
Here's the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes:

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetes-differences-betwee...

OK, more homework!! Noted and bookmarked... TY
No. of Recommendations: 2
Where to go from here?

Sorry to hear you are diagnosed. But then really I don't want you to feel sorry for yourself. Seriously, you need to accept this is something now you have to deal with rest of your life. But feeling sorry is really not much help or in fact needed. You can live a very long, healthy life with it.

Remember exercise and diet are key. Regular exercise is key. Also, if you can move at least 200 feet every hour it will greatly help but don't worry too much. Life is never perfect. Just make sure you exercise if you miss one day or had a big meal or had to drink so be it.

On diet there are many theories you need to find out what works for you. There are folks who argue to avoid carbs, go protein, fats etc. There are pros and cons on every thing. I tend to avoid fats and okay with carbs and protein. As long as you burn the calories you eat, carbs are okay.

Personally I find the 6 small meals doesn't work for me. I prefer to eat only 3 meals and avoid snacks in between keep at least 5 hours between breakfast and lunch and dinner and at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. This allows me to be careful with what I eat and allows your body's natural calorie burning to work in your favor. Also, typically I like to workout before a meal, as I can push down my sugar level to real low and my body is ready to absorb the sugar released by a meal better. I take insulin so insulin works better this way. Again you need to find what works for you.

There are literally millions of people with this disease and live a very healthy fulfilling life. Wishing you a very happy life.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I was diagnosed as Type 2 this past February. It runs in the family on my Mother's side. I chose to look at it as a gift and made a major change in my eating style. I want to keep my extremities and have a fear of getting to the point where I have to inject Insulin (which happens occasionally with T2D). So I have been very motivated.

I did a lot of research (books, the internet, YouTube) and testing on my own body to figure out what works best for me (which may be different for someone else). I only took Metformin for 3 weeks before I decided that a change of diet was the way for me to go.

In 3 months I went from a fasting blood glucose of 330 to 76, an A1c of 10.5 to 5.6 and lost 30 lbs to boot (as of this week I'm 50 lbs down). My cholesterol also dropped. Shocked my doctor.

I did it by eating LCHF (low carb, high natural fat, moderate protein). I do not eat wheat or grains in any form. No starches (corn, potatoes and the like). No sugar, honey, agave or fruit except the occasional berry (blackberries, raspberries or blueberries and tomatoes). For sweetening I mostly use liquid Stevia and am still experimenting with other natural sugar substitutes. Definitely no High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I avoid anything low-fat because the fat is usually substituted with some kind of sugar. No corn or soybean oils.

I do eat a lot vegetables (salads, asparagus and cauliflower mostly). I eat a lot of butter from grass fed cows (Kerrygold). I use butter, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and bacon fat for cooking. I also eat a lot of bacon and eggs, chicken, steak, shrimp, scallops as well as some full fat cheese and yogurt. I use full fat whipping cream with my tea if I want it. I'm not a big nut eater but I keep Almonds and Macadamia nuts on hand if I need a light snack.

As someone who hates to cook, I have had a pretty easy time making meals for myself. I try various LCHF recipes as I come across them... not always with success but when they do work out, it's great!

So do your research so you can become an advocate for yourself. Use your glucose meter to learn which foods have the biggest impact on your blood sugar.

It is a blessing to be forewarned and have to chance to turn things around. That fact that you are asking questions means that you are going to be okay.

I wish you well. :-)
OK, great trip, back home! Lost 10# on the trip somehow, mostly constant activity is my guess... So keep moving...

Met with Dietician/Nutritionist today, I/we seem to be on the right track, avoiding carbs, etc... Hadn't realized beans, as in Lentil soup (Amy's) would be a problem, but otherwise, I;m OK with less carbs...

Had not bothered with the glucometer they gave me before we left, so toda, now, prior to lunch took a stab at it.. Well, several as it turned out.. Had to crank up the lancet to a 7 to get a sample. Then I'm putting it on top, on the bottom of the strip, nothing happening.. Called their 888 number, Verio One-Touch, only to find out it needed to go on the edge, capillary action, etc.. NOW I KNOW! Funny how two explanations fro the nurses didn't show me that!

Anyway, initial reading, 131. Pretty low, but all I had for breakfast a couple hours earlier was a banana, coffee...

I think now they will set up the lancet ordering, strips, too, so far I've seen no prescription go through...

Onward!

Lunch!

An Omelette, cheese omelette I think!

weco
In looking around, wondering if there was such a thing as a wireless version, I found The OneTouch Verio Flex System kit.. Uses Bluetoot to connect to an app on iPhone or iPad.. Only $20! Is that right? But then I see the one thay gave me, the simpler one is around for $10...

Anyone going this way, wireless?

BTW, my numbers are over this week, started at 131, next day118/119, Wed it was 130 , then Thur jumped to 140, I blamed the chili.. But Friday morning, before breakfast,91... Just now, late night, 130...

But, weight loss seems to be continuing... Back to walking, joined the gym, go from here...

weco
Bit the bullet, bought the Verio Flex, $20 at the local CVS... Downloaded the app, paired with my iPhone, number transferred to the app in no time, but mt last week history, left behind on the simpler One Touch... It showed the average to be 122, so that's OK by me!

Need to get out walking, but in this 100 degree mid day heat, no way... Later this afternoon. We also have smoke in the area from a 1500 acre fire 'Sawmill" just to the Norht of us, offshore breezes are carrying it out and South to us.. Pulling in cool evening air brought along some of the smoky flavor...

Noticing I had to jump the lancer setting to max, 7, to make it work, too thick a hide I guess...

Anyway, most recent reading via the Flex, 109... then I had some sliced turkey, cheese for lunch.. Should be OK later..

weco