No. of Recommendations: 2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 14
Here is a little slice of that toast that applies to the political divide well beyond the scope of the newspaper business.

People invest in institutions to the extent that they reflect their values and worldview. Civic comes from the Latin ‘civis’ or citizen. Civic institutions that are not rooted in the civitas are foreign bodies. No institution that usurps the citizenry can be anything other than an engine of cultural colonialism.

Partisan civic institutions are, like the Holy Roman Empire, neither civic nor institutions. They’re the propaganda operations of a political faction which are maintained with money diverted from taxpayers and with funding from wealthy interests connected to that faction. They have no institutional future.

The Left launched its bid for power by hijacking institutions and, in doing so, destroying their legitimacy. Hijacking institutions allows radicals to temporarily wield their power at the cost of crashing the plane. That’s how the institutional legitimacy of academia, the media, and the entertainment industry died.
No. of Recommendations: 9
Our local newspaper is quite effective in doing several things:

1) Provides an excellent media to soak up coffee cup dribbles.
2) Provides an indication of politicians to vote against when they
recommend a specific candidate.
3) Provide local sports coverage two or three days after the local sports
events were completed.

Howie52
By the time you may have forgotten an event occurred, the paper will remind you.
isawbones:

Am I the only one here who finds it annoying to have to wade through nothing but a lot of URL references?

I'd find your posts a lot more interesting if you'd at least offer statement or two outlining what we're supposed to read about.

Just my opinion.

Vermonter
I'd find your posts a lot more interesting if you'd at least offer statement or two outlining what we're supposed to read about.

Just my opinion.

Vermonter

--------------------------

As the great 2828 used to say before he was banished to the gulag, "It's all about tickling their buying bone".
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Am I the only one here who finds it annoying to have to wade through nothing but a lot of URL references? "

Well, you were the first to mention the issue.

Howie52
Some days, things bother a person more than other days. Some days, the coffee just does
not hit the spot. Some days, the tea is too cold - or too hot - or too bland.
These situations all become more frequent as you age.
And sooner than you'd ever expect, you are lookin gout your front windows worrying
about the kids walking down the street ------ are they getting into your grass?
The grass you just seeded last fall?

And there you are - a curmudgeon sitting in a rocking chair - when just yesterday you
were Vermonter55!
Howie:

Oh, it isn't a BIG deal -- just sort of a small PITA, so I mentioned it. Gimme a break. ;)

Vermonter
2828 banished? Really? I hope not.

Heck, I didn't always agree, but I usually enjoyed his words.

Vermonter