Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Newton's Third Law. Pushing government out of church also pushed god out of government. There were suggestions (I forget which Founder) to fund all religions, because most (if not all) nations at that time had an official (funded) religion. They wanted to show no favoritism. I think it was Thomas Paine that suggested funding none of them. Or maybe it was Madison?

We ended up funding none of them, and then "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" followed.

And, yes, the states tried to veer off that course. I think a TX provision of their constitution requires someone to be a xian to hold public office, and I'm not sure that has officially been voided (since it is illegal). Probably several other states, too.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.